Artillery: Generation I codename: SpudNik
This was my very first potato cannon, and possibly one of my
most powerful ones yet. The story behind it was that I
got kicked out of school for a fight, so I had a three day
vacation on the school. I got pretty bored quickly, so I
went to the local hardware store and bought all the necessary
PVC pieces, and assembled the gun. It actually had two
different ignition systems if you study the pictures up
close. The first system was installed in the cleanout
plug, but quickly became obsolete after repeated firing caused
damage to the system as well as corrosion of firing
mechanism. After that method of firing got scrapped, I
did some studying on the internet, and discovered Ed
Goldmann's Spud Gun Technology Center (SGTC) I read up a lot
there on many different methods of spud gun creation and
use. The end result was that I put two wood screws into
the gun set to the appropriate distance apart, and wired them
to the two leads on my grill igniter. I then covered the
screws with hot glue to keep the spark from occurring on the
out side of the chamber. That pretty much solved all the
problems with that, though due to some improper transportation,
and normal wear and tear a crack formed on the step down piece
that joined the barrel and the chamber, so the gun had to be
Chamber Length - 32 3/8"
Chamber Width - 4"
Barrel Length - 30 1/4"
Barrel Width - 2"
Overall Length - 63 7/8"
|| I mounted it on a cart for easy
transportation and cause it looked pretty cool.
|| A cool view down the barrel and at
the target I was shooting at.
|| Not the safest view, but I assure
you it wasn't loaded.
|| Nice picture showing the distance
from the muzzle to the target.